Aug 10, 2009

Ayiti:He woke me up again

Several thoughts run through my head on a night like tonight...

Most prominently - the first week here was an adjustment. I think it was mostly due to the work, the steep learning curve, and, let's face it, the demand of the groups who were present. But THIS WEEK...it's been immeasurably better. I have figured out, mostly, what I am supposed to be doing here. I am more confident each day. I can once again say I love to be here. It took some time, but after I realized how little time I have left here today I started to worry. It's going to be just as hard to leave here as it was last time.

Today I went to a homeless dwelling to drop off some medicine for some of the people who live there. I was asked by a man to come see his daughter, as she was very sick. I responded "Oh no, I'm not a doctor." My friend who accompanied me said something to the effect of "You have to do it."

For the first time in a long time, I found a reason to continue in nursing school. I am meeting the girl at the clinic tomorrow - I hope she comes.

God reminded me of Romans 12 tonight while the groups were worshipping after dinner. I am in some desperate need of renewing of my mind.

I still love doing the dishes, even if it's 25 dinner plates after enchiladas and salad.

OH. And...I finally learned how to drive the ATV I was given use of while I was here.

I have been praying for confidence, and it comes, slowly but surely. Just in time for me to leave.

2 comments:

  1. If you were into psychology, I wonder if you'd find that there is something askew, sanity-wise, with enjoying washing other people's dirty food plates, particularly ones that held enchiladas. Ech! :-)

    Thank you for your example and your leadership while we were there. You have this great way of reflecting Jesus Christ in the way that you love people and the way you love to serve. May God work through you in the life of the little girl you're talking about in this post -- physically and spiritually!

    Dea

    ReplyDelete
  2. "DeaN"

    I left off that letter at the end because... uhh... I was trying to conserve letters in the comment due to my experience in Haiti? Because there is no "n" in "team"?

    ReplyDelete