Aug 15, 2009

Ayiti:all too common conversations

Me: "Bonjou!"

Him: "Bonjou. . . what is your name?"

Me: "Sarah - what is your's?"

Him: "[Fill-in-the-blank]. You are very intelligent."

Me: "Oh. Uh, thank you."

Him: "Will you help me learn english?"

Me: "Sure...[teaching commences for 2 minutes]"

Him: "Yes...very intelligent. I want to go to the States for university - will you sponsor me?"

Me: "I have no money to sponsor you for college, I'm sorry."

Him: "Do you believe in Jesus?"

Me: "Yes I do. Do you?"

Him: "Yes! [Pause] I love you."

Me: "What?"

Him: "You love Jesus, you are very intelligent, I love you."

Me: "Uhhh. Well, we are brothers and sisters in Christ! [Desperate attempt to steer the conversation away from where it is headed]"

Him: "Do you have a boyfriend?"

Me: [said in defeat] ". . . No . . ."

Him: "I want to be in a relationship with you. You love Jesus, you don't have a boyfriend. Will you marry me?"

6 comments:

  1. Such good taste he has.

    But do you think your father should get on a plane and fly to Haiti to make sure that this young man gets the message?

    Not that you need your father anymore for this kind of thing. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bahahahaha AMAZING. well, who can blame him? You're pretty gosh-darn fabulous, if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaa!!! I love this. I want someone to get video footage of this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I think I would want to marry you too if you taught me any english. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I try this everytime, but it doesn't seem to work.

    ReplyDelete