May 20, 2009

Ayiti!

Today was a day completely out of my comfort zone. I went with one of the groups to Minitri, a village close to Titanyen, where I live. I have been totally overwhelmed by not knowing the language - and the key phrases that wikipedia taught me are generally wrong and/or not useful. So today I simply smiled and said "Bonswa!"

The kids flocked anyway. I got to spend all day loving on kids, which was just what I needed to curb the loneliness and isolation that being in a new country with a foreign language can do.

Plus I learned a lot more words - a lot of the older kids were able to teach me a little. At least now I can say "How do you say..." and "How old are you?" Can't wait to be able to speak more each day!

There is a new group at the mission who just arrived and are sharing my apartment with me. I am somewhat glad to have more people in this huge place.

At that, I will leave you with this picture...this is who I get to spend my days with!

5 comments:

  1. we've only met briefly once here in Nashville, but I am so excited for you...as a French-speaker myself, Haïti definitely interests me--another friend is heading down there in early July, shortly after you leave, I think...

    anyway, I love that you're challenging yourself and engaging with the language and with the people...and from my own experiences being in a place with a lot of children in a mission environment where I only spoke a bit of the language (Spanish), there's just so much that crosses those linguistic barriers when it comes to simply playing with kids and loving them...

    I share in your excitement, and I pray that you are encouraged daily...peace...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thinking that you just might be a Parsons Photographer. Great pic! I wish I was a mosquito on the wall so I could see your face as your experience this lonely, fascinating, exilerating, challenging, wonderful time. I miss you terribly, but am convinced that you are exactly where you are supposed to be.
    mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. i miss them.. all haitians have my heart

    ReplyDelete
  4. Money in the bank.
    Traveling the world is uber swell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah, I am so excited and happy for you. (ps- this is Jessie Newman) This is awesome! Please keep blogging. Miss you lots.

    ReplyDelete