Feb 1, 2010

with gratitude that flows

For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:
a time to be born, and a time to die;
a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;
a time to kill, and a time to heal;
a time to break down, and a time to build up;
a time to weep, and a time to laugh;
a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
a time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together;
a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
a time to seek, and a time to lose;
a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
a time to tear, and a time to sew;
a time to keep silent, and a time to speak;
a time to love, and a time to hate;
a time for war, and a time for peace.
(Ecclesiastes 3:1-8)

What a bittersweet thought: leaving Kansas City. It begins to hit more closely each week I progress into this semester. It is the closing of a season. It's like watching the leaves begin to fall off the trees. It's beautiful to walk in the gold leaves, crunching them underfoot, yet knowing there is a painfully cold season ahead. And yet with winter comes snowy mornings and quiet evenings watching the snow fall and seeing breath in the air and drinking hot chocolate.

When I consider what comes ahead, what starting over really looks like, I don't want to go. I don't want to miss spontaneous calls to spend time with Kelley or my roommates and other beautiful friends. I don't want to have to try and find my way to places. I don't want to leave Redeemer.

Yet I tend to follow my gut, and my gut is saying go. My gut has been preparing me to go since I began to feel the tug in September. And there is a glorious beautiful season waiting just across the state lines.

In hearing from my friends and "people" in Haiti, I hear about devastation. 75% of Port-au-Prince will need to be rebuilt. Many people will never know what happened to loved ones. Most people I know have lost their homes.

And yet, those stories are always followed by "...but".

...But the mission hit water, something attempted dozens of times and for years on end. Finally, a well is established, and no longer will water need to be trucked in.

...But the warehouse is refilled with food every time it is emptied.

...But people acknowledge God is faithful.

No matter the season, no matter the disaster, whether great or small, God is faithful.

And we urge you brothers,
admonish the idle,
encourage the fainthearted,
help the weak,
be patient with them all...
Rejoice always,
pray without ceasing,
give thanks in all circumstances;
for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
Do not quench the Spirit...
hold fast what is good...
Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely,
and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless
at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
He who calls you is faithful;
he will surely do it.
(1 Thessalonians 5:14-24)

My hope is built on nothing less.

No comments:

Post a Comment