Mar 15, 2010

"I see the Castle Rock"

What the Lord made abundantly clear to me today, courtesy of a long, slow drive from Denver to Colorado Springs in a somewhat sketchy stretch of icy road.

My best services are rags, and my best deeds are filthy.
Oh Blessed Jesus, may we find a covert in Thy wounds.
Though our sins they rise to meet us, may they fall next to the merits of You.
(A Prayer for the Brokenhearted)

My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frame, but wholly lean on Jesus' name.

On Christ the solid rock I stand,
all other ground is sinking sand.

When darkness veils His lovely face, I rest on His unchanging grace.
Through every high and stormy gale, my anchor holds within the veil.

On Christ the solid rock I stand,
all other ground is sinking sand.

His oath, His covenant, and blood, support me in the whelming flood.
Though every earthly prop give way, He then is all my hope and stay.

On Christ the solid rock I stand,
all other ground is sinking sand.

When He shall come with trumpet sound, oh then may I in Him be found.
Dressed in His righteousness alone, faultless to stand before the throne.

On Christ the solid rock I stand,
all other ground is sinking sand.
(Solid Rock)

As I move to Haiti in just a few short months, I find myself clinging more to this promise, that the only constant in my life, and the only thing I can depend upon to maintain is Christ.

And He is the purpose, He is the center, He is the reason. I have nothing to offer, whether as a nurse in Haiti or a nurse in Colorado or a student. I have nothing to merit myself. I have watched the things of this world break apart and destroy people I love. And the solid rock is His righteousness, His ability to right the wrong. And He will.

Because the Lord who has called you and I is faithful, and He will surely do it.

1 comment:

  1. I cannot help but feel fortified every time I read your blog.

    love you and will be calling you this week. there is a sarah-shaped hole in my heart.

    ReplyDelete