Jan 15, 2010

Haiti Cherie

Last night I came home to a package on my bed, all the way from Canada. Inside I found a present from Diana, a wooden plaque with a carved map of Haiti. Across the top, "Haiti Cherie" - or Dear Haiti.

On any day, it would make my heart ache to be with my Haitian friends and family. I would think of walking down the hill with Diana, of walking towards the Hope House to catch whoever hurtled herself into my arms, of bartering with the vendors, of river walking, of working in the clinic, of sitting on the playground to look at stars and pray.

But on this day, in these days, all those things ring true still, but with a sort of hollowness. I sit in my comfortable home, on stable ground, with water free flowing out of the tap. I have a refrigerator full of food, and lights that turn on. My phone rings, and I sleep through the night.

Today my family across the waters faces another day of aftershocks. They face another day of nonstop work to give comfort to their people. They face another day where water supplies run lower, gas sputters out, and medical supplies wear thin. Yet they continue on, helping as they can, where they can.

The other news stories will begin to take more time. Slowly, the story of the Haitian need will sputter out. Attention will fade away; it is natural. But I don't think the ache will leave my bones. I don't think I'll shake the feeling of sickness at the sheer need of my family in Haiti.

This is a dear member of this family. The clinic she speaks of is dear to my heart.

So this morning I continue to pray. Pray in thanksgiving for the safety of these dear ones...

I thank the Lord for the hand of protection over these dear brothers and dearest sister.

I continue to lift up these dear girls, my dear girls and boys from Good Samaritan, who have not been heard from to my knowledge.

I wonder over these village children - are they safe? Will their joy return in these days of utter fear and darkness?

The news from the mission is not hopeless. With intact buildings they are in a much better situation than most. Praise God from whom all blessings flow.

God is our refuge and strength,
a very present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not dear though the earth gives way,
though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea,
though its waters roar and foam,
though the mountains tremble at its swelling.

There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
the holy habitation of the Most High.
God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved;
God will help her when morning dawns.
The nations rage, the kingdoms totter;
he utters his voice, the earth melts.
The LORD of hosts is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.

Come, behold the works of the LORD,
how he has brought desolations on the earth.
He makes wars cease to the end of the earth;
he breaks the bow and shatters the spear;
he burns the chariots with fire.
"Be still, and know that I am God.
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth!"
The LORD of hosts is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.
(Psalm 46)

No comments:

Post a Comment