Jan 8, 2009

Until Next Time

Tomorrow I get on a plane, to get on another plane, to get on another plane, to get to a funeral.

I'm amazed by the way the Lord has worked in my life in the last year. I would venture to say I hit the lowest point of my 20 year life in 2008. And I experienced joy in new and glorious ways in the following months.

Part of my summer in Washington included my Great Grandma. I spent Monday mornings with Great Grandma Ryel and Grandma H. I always came away with funny stories, happy feelings, and a little sadness in watching a beautiful, strong woman deteriorate. I remember saying goodbye to her in August. She said "Where are you going?" and I said "Back to school in Kansas City."

She answered, "Well that's just awful."

I hoped I would see her again - when I visited in March. I wanted a few more stories to keep with me. I wanted her to criticize the size of my big toes, or to remark on the likeliness of my face with hers, or talk about her "animals" that lived off of butter and jam packets from the dining room.

But this weekend, I get on 3 planes to go to Washington to be at her funeral. She lived 93 years, the majority of them difficult, but she came out with grace and a lot of fire. She was sassy and feisty, and I grew to love her.

So off I go, to celebrate the life of Great Grandma Ryel. She will be missed.

1 comment: