Feb 22, 2008

With A Little Help From My Friends

I am writing a paper. If you have input, please let me know. Here is the prompt.

In Early Medieval Art, Lawrence Nees writes: “Over the tomb of St. Martin of Tours the visitor could have read: ‘Here lies Martin the bishop, of holy memory, whose soul is in the hand of God: but he is fully here, present and made plain in miracles of every kind.’ The inscription encapsulates many of the fundamental themes of the cult of the saints: the physical body, remembrance, intimate connection to God, miracles, and living presence among the faithful who come to his tomb” (117). Write an essay in which you consider how a particular culture’s view of ontology informs or shapes their attitude toward the material world, using at least two specific examples of art and/or architecture. (Their attitude toward the material world can include their understanding and treatment of that realm.)

HELP.

6 comments:

  1. only four letter words come to mind regarding this essay.

    but let's see. well. first of all, i didn't even know what ontology was. so i looked it up. 'the branch of metaphysics dealing with the nature of being'. great, so helpful since i still am not even quite sure what that means!

    is the essay calling for basically choosing two pieces of art that reflect a culture's view of the nature of being? maybe? i realize i have gotten you nowhere.

    if katinka-inga-bagovana-na-na was here, she would say 'you shut up now.' so i am going to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The four letters I have for you are
    B A R F.

    I'd cry if I got that paper. Thanks to Becca I at least now know what ontology is. When I begin to think of trying to help you my brain avoids the subject and starts writing and singing song lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa. I can barely wrap my mind around the question. I think you should stick with the Greeks. Didn’t they come up with the idea of ontology in the first place? Their art, sculpture and architecture reflect how they see themselves as spiritual, powerful, humble and also powerless against the forces of the “gods”. The Egyptians would also be interesting with their ideas about the afterlife. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah...
    what about the Egyptians? The way they burried their dead?
    Or church architecture/art--some traditions want nothing in a worship space (no art, no banners, nothing), others have ornate art work and architecture--both reflect a certain understanding of the material world and our relationship to it, as well as their understanding of God.
    Am I anywhere close?

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are wonderful ideas guys! Err, Laura and Julianne. I wrote an e-mail to my professor asking some questions, and i am pretty sure I am nowhere near being ready to turn this paper in. Thought I was close. I'll keep you posted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. engineers don't write.


    but hey.
    i'll love you and pray for you the best i can.
    aka the easy way out.

    ReplyDelete