Jun 14, 2009

Ayiti:i make my own way in the wide world

I feel unable to blog about anything worth reading. I have no deep thoughts, no realizations from my time in Haiti at the moment. I am sure that is not true - I know I am thinking and processing constantly while I am here. I know I have deeper things beneath the surface. Yet today I can't offer them.

I am beginning to wonder what it will be like to go back to Kansas City. As excited as I will be to see my friends and family, how do you return to life with a new set of lenses? It's the question I will be mulling over until I get there. There is no answer. I know part of me will want to be here - and to be torn between two places will be difficult.

One of the things I will come home with is motivation. I have struggled constantly with wanting to leave school, take time off, travel, live in Haiti for extended time, etc. But in talking with the people here, I see my opportunities in education rare and beautiful. What a waste it would be to not take advantage of what I have been given. What a waste to spend my last year scraping by. I return with a motivation to finish, finish well, and to begin preparing for when God does have me leaving.

Until then, this guy will keep me going.

4 comments:

  1. he is beautiful.
    dale, my missionary from africa, said to us...the best thing you can do is get the most and best education and experience you can and then come back and give, give, give.
    i love you. and i seriously think about you everyday as I look at your empty bed. soon it will be filled :)
    soak it all in so that you can tell me marvelous details when you get home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's a good way of seeing education. i know that i have often been guilty of taking school for granted and seeing it as a big pain. stay in skeool, fessie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The wonderful thing is that Someone has gone before you to make a way for you, the one that by your cooperation and agreement you enter into. There is a sense of "no one can do this for you" and that your choices are powerful in making your own way in the wide world. But the comfort is that you are not alone.

    I am so proud of you.

    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear friend. I am blessed to know you and see you experience such a beautiful thing. I can't wait to see you and spend time with you. I love you dearly. Yur Pooks.

    ReplyDelete